Welcome to our mid-life crisis! These are the chronicles of Laura and Patrick, their young son Jack, and their goofball Labrador Retriever named Evinrude (Rudy), as they travelled the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific coast of mainland Mexico in their catamaran. We went cruising in search of a change of pace, a closer knit family, and peace of mind. We found all three and more. The fun all started in October, 2008 and nearly four years later the Mexican adventure came to an end August 3rd, 2012. With our mid-life crisis cured in Mexico, we are excited to start a new adventure - life back in America.

Patrick has since joined the Sales Team of Marine Servicenter as a boat broker. Whether you are looking to make your dream of sailing away come true, or ready to sell your boat he can help. He can be reached at http://marinesc.com/about/crew/patrick-harrigan

Candeleros Chico

Candeleros Chico
Just another beautiful day at anchor on the Baja. 2010

Dolphins at play in the bow wake 2011

Dolphins at play in the bow wake  2011

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Finally Fixed!

We just got back into internet access last night. We were out of access since Sunday afternoon. We were at Malvina's Boatyard - the newest spa destination. It's close to the city dump, the city sewage treatment center, and several fish processing ships. Yummm.. You can taste the air. Meanwhile, if the wind is in the right direction, the fine, oily dust (also with a healthy sampling of paint particulates, and who knows how many toxic metals from all the sandblasting) wafts over you in clouds. It was lovely. At one point two nights ago, Patrick and I both woke up because the stench was so bad. We ended up staying on the boat with Rudy since a hotel room would be just one more expense in this expensive town. It was bad, but I still think we made the right decision. It would have been a little easier if we hadn't run out of water!

It sounds horrible I know, but it was really kind of funny. It makes me laugh thinking about it. When we got back last night, Patrick immediately took Rudy to the beach (poor dog was on the boat the whole time - no way to get him off when it's 15 feet in the air.) I immediately got out a heavy duty cleaner, bucket, hose, and a truck brush and went to work getting most of the dust washed off the boat. The water ran brown down the sides. Yuck. Even so, our boat is still a little dingy looking. It might require a hands-and-knees type of scrubbing.

So that is the latest. Finally, four months after we broke down, we are whole again. I don't quite believe it. We are going to stay here at El Cid for probably another five days while we try to clean the boat (the inside got very dusty too), do our laundry, provision foods, and in all ways prep for the next leg of our journey. There is an island south of here called Isla Isabel which is supposed to be like the Mexican Galapagos and we are going to go check that out.



  1. Great news. Sounds like your latest adventure was a bit smelly. Dad is looking at his Mexico map trying to find Isla Isabel, we can send him down now before you leave Mazatlan so you can explore it together! Happy sailing. K, R and G