Welcome to our mid-life crisis! These are the chronicles of Laura and Patrick, their young son Jack, and their goofball Labrador Retriever named Evinrude (Rudy), as they travelled the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific coast of mainland Mexico in their catamaran. We went cruising in search of a change of pace, a closer knit family, and peace of mind. We found all three and more. The fun all started in October, 2008 and nearly four years later the Mexican adventure came to an end August 3rd, 2012. With our mid-life crisis cured in Mexico, we are excited to start a new adventure - life back in America.

Patrick has since joined the Sales Team of Marine Servicenter as a boat broker. Whether you are looking to make your dream of sailing away come true, or ready to sell your boat he can help. He can be reached at http://marinesc.com/about/crew/patrick-harrigan

Candeleros Chico

Candeleros Chico
Just another beautiful day at anchor on the Baja. 2010

Dolphins at play in the bow wake 2011

Dolphins at play in the bow wake  2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Well, we tried to leave,,,,

Nancy has been taking lots of great pictures up at the marina pool

There is something funky happening to keep us in Santa Rosalia. Yesterday morning, we were set to leave and then Jack said "I don't feel well." As a mother, I was attuned to that message, and said, "We aren't leaving today." About an hour later, he started heaving into a bowl. So goes that day.

Then today dawned bright and beautiful and we were worked hard to finish up the last details to get out the door. We did one last load of sweat-stained laundry, took down the bimini cover and the last duties were unplugging the air-conditioner, cleaning out the fridge, putting the last bits of tin-foil on the windows to insulate from the sun, cleaning the heads and closing the seacocks.

Then we headed out to the car and loaded up. The first stop was to a hardware store, but it was not opened so we didn't stop the car. The next stop was the bank where Patrick left me off to get money while he drove around the block. The next stop was the gas station, where Patrick did not remember to turn off the engine while the attendant was fueling.

Then we drove out of town. Just at the edge of town, the warning light came on "Battery not Charging" Patrick read off the warning light to me and after nearly twenty years I knew better then to question him about it. I waited a few minutes and then said, "What does that mean?" He said that there was probably a problem with the alternator but he wouldn't know until he looked at it. Another ten minutes went by and I said, "I think we should turn around and go back to the Singlar marina before we turn the car off." Patrick thought that was a good idea and we turned around. Once back parked in the Singlar marina, Patrick turned the car off and then tried to turn it on again.... Nothing. The alternator is dead. It was a very good thing that we never stopped the car while we were running all of our errands or we would have been stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

So here we sit back at the marina, on a boat that is decommissioned - no toilet, no water, no fridge, no food, no cold beer....... It's a nightmare. But we have air conditioning, friends, beds, a nearby mechanic,,,,,so a nightmare with a happy ending. We are still headed to the States, just a few days later.


  1. 'Funky' is the word. I admire your positive attitude. I was relieved to get off the dock and keep moving. With AC, we might have settled right in with the rest of the crew. I'm so glad the alternator went before leaving town and not out on the road. I hope your trip goes well. Stay safe.

    Lisa and Neil
    S/V Gypsy

  2. Hi Lisa!
    It's great to hear from you. So far, so good. We have had lots of breakdowns but Patrick keeps us moving north. Currently in Irvine CA.

    And Hi Jill!
    They are amazing pictures! Nancy has taken some of the best pictures of us in the last few weeks. It's nice having your own photographer.

    Laura, s/v Just A Minute